Covid-19 and Canyon Camp

Updated: 17 hours ago

Update- 1/20/2021

Winter Update

A new year brings new mitigations- at this time, for the better! We're excited to share this update from our local Council (the Blackhawk Area Council). What does this mean for you? It means your unit is welcome to meet individually in this part of the State and we're able to have you join us at Canyon Camp for fun winter and spring activities. Keep an eye out on our Facebook page or our website updates page for fun activities coming to camp. We are working tirelessly to ensure a fun, safe experience for you and your Scouts this summer! Reach out at any time with questions you may have:

See you at camp soon!

Update- 10/27/2020

Fall Update

The fall months have been busy at Canyon Camp as we welcomed dozens of Scouts and families to camp as they safely used our facilities. Many have joined us for a hike on our five mile trail while others have enjoyed our climbing facility and overnight camping as a family. The fall and winter months will be adapted to the best of our ability to continue to serve you and bring you to camp. Thank you for enjoying the great outdoors at Canyon Camp this fall! As we look to the future, we will continue to monitor State and local health department policies and make adjustments as additional mitigations increase and decrease over time. We believe the national experts will provide additional guidance on how we can safely bring more Scouts to camp and we are preparing our plans for summer camp 2021. The camp staff applications are due Dec. 1 and we will be holding interviews shortly thereafter. As always, safety is our number one priority. The second priority we have is to get as many young people to enjoy the Spirit of Canyon Camp as possible this winter, spring, and next summer. Send us an e-mail at any time with any questions you may have at

Update- 8/17/2020

August Update

Although the summer was not the adventure we had planned with hundreds of hours preparing for your arrival, it will be one that will be remembered forever.  Canyon Camp had been on course for another historic year welcoming you and hundreds of others through the front gates of camp.  Instead, we had small work crews accomplishing meaningful maintenance projects socially distanced at all times.  Our world changed quickly this last spring, and we were proud to see how our units and leaders displayed how they live the Scout Motto.  Thank you for your understanding, and we cannot wait to have you to camp soon.  The summer of 2020 will be remembered forever, but the summer of 2021 will be the one we look forward to the most! Looking ahead, we have a number of weekend family camping opportunities available, hiking days, AND an online trading post available for you! These may not be the same as a full summer camp experience, but at least you can get a taste of Canyon Camp.  In recent weeks we have received new unit registrations and a few camp staff applications.  It's refreshing to begin to think about next summer.  Canyon Camp is already at 70% capacity for the 2021 season- click here to register today!

This fall and winter leading into 2021 will be different, but it energizes us thinking about how great next summer will be.  We look forward to seeing you soon at Canyon Camp.

Annual Fall Work Day:

The Annual Kiwanis Woodcutter's Ball Work Day scheduled for October 3, 2020 will not occur in its traditional format this year. Without Camp operating this summer season, we have fewer winter preparation projects needed for this fall.  In combination with the pandemic, we feel it is best to hold small work project days as needed throughout the fall and winter seasons rather than bring one large group together on October 3 in the traditional manner of the Kiwanis Woodcutter's Ball.  We are very thankful for the continued relationship with the Monroe Kiwanis Club and we look forward to gathering together through this partnership this Spring as we prepare for the 2021 summer season. 

If you would like to volunteer to be a part of our off-season work project team, please share your interest by clicking here.  As opportunities arise for simple projects, we would love to have your name on the short list of folks we may be able to contact to come to camp.  This group will follow strict safety guidelines related to covid-19 and will gather depending on availability and quantity of volunteers.  Thank you for all you do for Canyon Camp, and we look forward to bringing all of our amazing volunteers like you together in the future when it's safe to do so.

Update- 7/6/2020

July Update

Illinois Phase 4 guidelines do not allow non-single home camping as initially understood. For this reason, the Webelos/Arrow of Light Weekend will not be able to be held as planned. We appreciate the trust and hope you instilled in us for the Webelos/Arrow of Light weekend in August. We too were hoping for the best. Unfortunately, the State of Illinois' Phase 4 deadlines are more stringent than we had anticipated regarding overnight camping. Late last week we received additional guidelines from our local health officials. After a careful review it was made clear that the Phase 4 requirements will not allow for our program to run as scheduled for July 31- August 2. We were extremely hopeful that the overnight camping would be opened to extend beyond single family households, but it has not.

In the upcoming days, you will receive an e-mail from our Council Professional, Emily Cross. She will share with you additional information regarding opportunities for single family household camping in August and beyond, 100% refund opportunities, and considerations for paying forward the adventure of outdoor Scouting adventures. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding of keeping everyone in Scouting safe during these very different times. Canyon Camp is a special place, and it breaks our heart not being able to serve you and your Scout. It is our hope to see you here very soon- not only for day adventure opportunities and family camping, but also for week long adventures and more! In the meantime, we hope to give you a taste of Canyon Camp on #CanyonLowdenDay. Join us on July 15 as we celebrate the many memories made and the vision for the future. Learn more today here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time:

Update- 6/9/2020

June Update

The Webelos/Arrow of Light Weekend is still planned as scheduled. We will provide another update the first week of July regarding any program alterations or requirements (i.e., personal protection equipment). This weekend is going to be a blast, and we are still hopeful for the opportunity to have you at camp! Canyon/Lowden Day website is LIVE! Join us on July 15 as we celebrate the many memories made and the vision for the future. Learn more today here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time:

Update- 5/12/2020

What Comes Next?

We miss you and are looking forward to our future programs together!

May 15- 2021 Registration Opens

June 1- Early Bird Registration Deadline for Webelos/AOL weekend

July 15- Celebrate Canyon Camp on Canyon/Lowden Day

Summer Camp 2021 registration opens this week! If your unit was not already signed up for camp, this will be your first opportunity to get your registration in. Visit on May 15 to be one of the first new registrants for next summer.

June 1 is the early bird registration deadline for Webelos/AOL weekend. Be sure to get your Scouts registered early and save. If the program needs to be cancelled for any reason we will offer a full refund to all participants. Learn more at:

Did you see the announcement for Canyon/Lowden Day on July 15? Join us online as we celebrate Canyon Camp on July 15- save the date!

More exciting announcements to come in the upcoming weeks.

Update- 4/28/2020

Scouts BSA Summer Camp

Friends of Canyon Camp,

Without being able to guarantee the safety of Scouts while delivering the high level program experience each Scout deserves at Canyon Camp, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our Scouts BSA summer program in June and July. We are currently planning on our Webelos/AOL weekend July 31-Aug 2.

Although we will not have Scouts BSA Summer Camp this year, we will do all we can to serve you in the future. The Spirit of Canyon Camp is more than just the moments we share on the banks of Coon Creek each summer. It lives in you and we look forward to you returning to camp in the future to build upon the Spirit of Canyon Camp.

Save the date for Canyon Day on July 15- more to come on this first ever virtual celebration of Canyon Camp!

Read our full update here

Flagship Event Updates:

Spring Monroe Kiwanis Work Weekend (May 1-2): will not occur this year

Wulapeju Lodge "Spring Fellowship" (June 5-7): Virtual Fellowship Being Planned

Scouts BSA Summer Camp (June-July): will not occur this year

Webelos/AOL Summer Camp (July 31-Aug 2): currently moving forward as scheduled

Update- 4/21/2020

Communication Plan for 2020 Summer The leadership of Canyon Camp and the Blackhawk Area Council recognize that Scouts, units, and families have been planning for many months to enjoy a memorable summer at Canyon Camp.

The health and safety of our participants, staff, and their families is our utmost concern. At this time, Canyon Camp continues to plan to operate in the summer of 2020 if we can do so safely and within the guidelines of the CDC and local health officials.

We will have our next update for all units between May 2 and May 14 with more specific plans for this summer. We understand that units and families need to confirm final plans and payments However, by applying a metered approach to the summer season, it allows the most flexibility in adjusting programs to serve participants.

Again, at this time we are planning for summer camp 2020 to begin in June and truly hope we can see you soon. BSA Annual Health and Medical Record We are evaluating all options while being mindful of those who have valid exams as well as those members and adults who may not have an opportunity to complete a Part C exam in a normal time-frame. At this time we are aware that many Scouts and Scouters have not had an opportunity to obtain a part C medical exam on their exam. We have begun conversations with local council health supervisors and volunteers in hopes to create local options for the required wellness exams. When a plan is confirmed within the required BSA policy, we will communicate this with you.

Update- 4/6/2020

Canyon Camp's Response

We’re eagerly looking forward to when we can resume normal operations in the next few months. At this time we continue to plan accordingly for the successful opening and operation of Canyon Camp for this summer season. We hope you find this page helpful to you as we update the Scouting community of our plans for this summer.

Please see below for a note from our camp directors and program director.

Flagship Event Updates:

Spring Monroe Kiwanis Work Weekend (May 1-2): will not occur this year

Wulapeju Lodge "Spring Fellowship" (June 5-7): is currently moving forward as scheduled

Scouts BSA Summer Camp (June-July): is currently moving forward as scheduled

Webelos/AOL Summer Camp (July 31-Aug 2): currently moving forward as scheduled

Payment Deadlines and BAC Campership Update:

  • Blackhawk Area Council Campership Application is now due May 1 for Cubs Scouts and Scouts BSA.

  • Scouts BSA minimum $50/Scout payment is now May 15

  • Scouts BSA $25 discount for early full-payment is now May 15

  • Webelos/AOL Weekend $25 early registration discount (Cost= $85/Scout) by June 1

  • Webelos/AOL Weekend regular registration rate starts on June 1 (Cost=$110/Scout)


A safe camp experience is our first priority.  We will continue to seek guidance from government health and BSA agencies to inform our decisions on summer camp operations. Should there be a reason that camp is not able to happen in person we will be offering alternatives in programming / dates, refund fees paid, or credit your unit for 2021.

Additional Resources:

Visit the Blackhawk Area Council Covid-19 Update Webpage and the National BSA Covid-19 Update Webpage for more information

An update from Canyon Camp Program Director and Co-Camp Directors: Dear Scouts and Scouters,

The members of the Canyon Camp Staff hope that you are staying safe and healthy as we experience the new normal we are facing with COVID-19 and social distancing. We are eagerly anticipating the future, where the effects of this situation conclude and relative normalcy resumes, including our beloved summer program at Canyon Camp.

We want to share with all of our Scouting community that it is our full intent to deliver the planned program for the 2020 summer season. We are being careful to evaluate the situation as time progresses, and to follow all guidelines and restrictions set by our local, state, and federal government agencies, as well as the Blackhawk Area Council and the Boy Scouts of America. We may be currently under a stay-at-home order and critical social distancing restrictions, but we are hopeful that the situation may improve in our favor and that we may host our summer program at Canyon Camp starting in mid-June. If this is not the case, we will be sure to work in accordance with all regulations and guidelines and will make appropriate decisions as the parameters of COVID-19 finalize closer to the summer. Please stay tuned for any announcements that may come your way. This page will be updated as needed. You can also e-mail us at any time at with questions you may have.

Our most important priority is the health and well-being of each wonderful Scout that comes through our front gates. We aim to make decisions that will be in the best interest of our Scouting community and our country. We are experiencing a difficult time, and it is so critical for each of us to step up to the plate and show our communities what being a Scout is all about. Live the Scout Oath and Scout Laws each day, and make sure to keep yourself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. We will make it through this together, and we look forward to seeing each of you at Canyon Camp soon!

Yours in Service,

Seth Kannarr

Program Director

Dick Reynolds and Lee Binkley

Co-Camp Directors

1,146 views0 comments
Canyon Camp Logo



  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
© 2019 Canyon Camp BSA
4856 E Townsend Rd
Stockton, IL 61085